Secrets to Healthy Holiday Eating
It’s no secret that when our family and friends get together for a holiday meal, it is a delectable masterpiece. And it’s also no secret that the holidays are the worst time of year to be on a diet. The key is being realistic: educate yourself and keep your goals in sight! From maneuvering through the office party buffet, to being the host to your own holiday gathering, here are some of our secrets to hep you make healthy eating choices.
- Eat a little something nutritious before the party. Along the same lines of going to the grocery store hungry, you may be tempted to indulge if you show up with an empty stomach.
- Be a picky eater. Remember your goals and progress thus far! Nothing tastes as good as healthy feels.
- Use fresh spices for seasoning in place of butter, oil and cheese. Try steamed veggies instead of heavy casseroles.
- Reduce and replace ingredients when possible. If it wouldn’t be the same without your favorite covered dish, try reduced-fat cheese, fat free sour cream or plain yogurt, skim or 1% milk, egg whites.
- The 20-minute Rule. Did you know that it takes about 20 minutes for our stomachs to send that “full” signal to our brain? Eat slowly and take breaks for conversation.